Monday, January 24, 2005

Album of the Day

That's right, folks, it's that time of year again. This morning, I began my annual trek through the whole of my CD collection. Unlike prior years, when I went from A to Z, as organized by artist name, this year I've decided to listen to things in chronological order, staring in 1959. Yes, I am enough of a geek to have things organized that way - I confess, I have a database program someone on one of my mailing lists put together for this very purpose. Each day, I'll highlight one album for some random reason. So, without further ado . . .

Time Out, by The Dave Brubeck Quartet (1959): As I did last year, I'll start with the first disc in line. Time Out was probably not the first jazz album to work in lots of odd time signatures, but it was surely the first one to find some commercial success. The tricky rhythms of tunes like "Blue Rondo a la Turk" and "Take Five," would go on to influences load of future musicians who imported them into various styles. They certainly took root in progressive rock, when it got rolling 20 years later.

No comments: