Friday, February 24, 2006

I Won't Even Kiss Her, Unless I'm Gonna Make Her My Wife

Imagine that you are Mr. Tombe, from the Upper Nile State in Sudan, and that you are deeply infatuated with your neighbor's goat. Imagine further that you manage to slip away into the night with the creature and begin to, um, "show it your affections," only to be caught in flagrante delicto by said goat's owner. What happens next? Why, you marry that girl, of course! Actually, the owner forces you to "marry" her and a local court orders you to pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars (about $50). As for the actual capture itself:

Mr Alifi . . . told the Juba Post newspaper that he heard a loud noise around midnight on 13 February and immediately rushed outside to find Mr Tombe with his goat.

"When I asked him: 'What are you doing there?', he fell off the back of the goat, so I captured and tied him up".

Mr Alifi then called elders to decide how to deal with the case.

"They said I should not take him to the police, but rather let him pay a dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife," Mr Alifi told the newspaper.

Remember kids, always concentrate on the dismount!

No comments: