Thursday, March 22, 2007

Album of the Day

Hot, by Squirrel Nut Zippers (1996): Back in college, jedi jawa and I had sort of a bilateral musical preaching going on. I plowed him with Marillion albums, and in return he stocked me with several Squirrel Nut Zippers albums. I might have gotten this one myself, as it was their breakout album (remember "Hell"? Sure you do!), although they quickly plummeted from public consciousness. It wasn't for lack of quality, as their updated variant of early 20th century pop, jazz, and swing is pretty cool. Certainly a step above the similar (yet very different) neo-swing bands that peaked popularly about the same time.

1 comment:

Donutbuzz said...

Absolutely love this album. Their follow-up, Perennial Favorites is pretty good, too.

I saw the Zippers about seven years ago when they played Mountain Stage in Charleston. Katherine Whalen wasn't with the band, though, and it was a lackluster performance.