Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I Don't Get It

Over at PrawsBlawg, Dan Markel makes a confession about his DVD viewing habits - with some movies/TV shows, he watches on fast forward with the subtitles on. It allows him to get a quick "culture" fill.

As somebody who watches a lot of movies on DVD, this seems to very much defeat the purpose. "Culture" isn't something to be wolfed down like a fast-food breakfast. It's something to savor, at least enough to get some enjoyment out of it. For example, the last flick I watched was Kar Wai Wong's epic 2046. Being a foreign-language film, subtitles were a necessity. Sure, if I'd watched it in double time in one hour instead of two I could have gotten the basic plot down. But a movie is more than just it's plot. At double speed I would have missed out on the fabulous cinematography, the lush score, and the mood that the director wanted to create with some very deliberate pacing. You might as well just read the Wikipedia plot summary and be done with it!

Markel makes it sound like he (and others) do this in order to keep current on pop culture or something. I'd much prefer to enjoy the culture I actually experience and plead ignorance to the rest of it. Do we really need to keep up with the Joneses in this area?

1 comment:

jedijawa said...

But I want it nooooow. That reminds me of Homer Simpson not being able to wait a full minute for the microwave to cook something.

Yes, culture has to be savored or it's really just like getting a whiff of it. I don't mean to sound haughty by saying that. For good or bad, culture is very much a mindset and it takes time to get into that mindset to appreciate or understand it.

Good post dude.