Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Waiter, There's a Lawyer in My Soup!

When I was an amateur music critic, I got one piece of hate mail (undeserved, of course). But I never figured that I might get sued for giving a bad review. It's not unheard of, however, particularly for restaurant critics. As this New York Times article points out, lawsuits by restaurants after bad reviews are almost certainly doomed to failure. Still, it's a cloud hanging over the heads of some critics, who have a hard enough job:

Adam Platt, who reviews restaurants for New York magazine, said that is how it should be. 'It’s the most subjective, in my view, of the critical disciplines,' he said. 'Book reviewers read the same books. Movie critics see the same movies. Restaurant critics work in an environment that will change not only from day to day but from hour to hour. All you can do is give your opinion. Over time, it becomes an informed opinion.'

No comments: