Tuesday, August 21, 2007

More On The Violently Prayerful

Following up on yesterday's post, there are more details of Dr. Drake's holy blitzkrieg over at the Volokh Conspiracy. Particularly interesting are some more quotes from Dr. Drake, from an interview he did here (quoting from Volokh):

Kaylor reports on an interview he had with Drake, who is quoted as saying: 'If they think it’s ‘outlandish,’ it doesn’t surprise me.... They’re ungodly, un-scriptural, not even Christians.... They have no reverence for the Word of God.... And if they think it’s ‘outlandish,’ don’t blame me, I didn’t write it, God did.... It really doesn’t matter what my words are ... What matters is what does God’s Word say? God’s Word says if they continue to attack God’s people, God will cause their children to become orphans and their wives to become widows. I didn’t say that, God did.'
So, just so there's no doubt about things, he wants his God to kill people for turning him in to the IRS. What an asshole!

Also, to pick up on Muze's comment from yesterday:
Wait a minute now. The Jacksons, Sharptons and Ferrakans do that sort of thing all the time.

If we are going to punish one we need to punish them all.
Two things.

First, if you mean their political activities should be subject to the same restrictions, you're right, but I'm not sure they're equivalent. As Volokh points out, what got Drake in trouble was endorsing a specific candidate - other more general political activities are OK. I'm not sure the folks you mention have done the same. If they have, they should pay the piper. Hell, I'm all for treating churches just like any other business or non-profit.

Second, if you mean they've similarly called for their followers to pray for the death of their enemies (and their children!), I'm gonna' have to ask for some evidence and/or cites. I'm no fan of any of those guys, but I don't think they've ever gone that far.

Third (yeah, OK, that's three things), don't bring Tito, Jermaine, and Michael into this - they've got their own problems to deal with!

No comments: