Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Album of the Day

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, by Brian Eno and David Byrne (1981/2006): I was so taken with Eno's Another Green World when I picked it up used that when I saw this at Borders a few weeks later I had to pick it up. The album is distinctive for using "found" vocal tracks to the exclusion of traditional lyrics and vocals (Eno had "given up the idea of writing songs") laid on top of deeply layered instrumental tracks. The found bits include Arabic singers, nameless radio hosts and callers, and preachers. The instrumental backing - everything from bass and drums to esoteric guitar and sythns - were done mostly by Eno and Byrne, with an occasional assist (from Chris Frantz and Bill Laswell, among others). The overall result is always interesting, occasionally amusing, and frequently brilliant.

Originally released in 1981, it was rereleased in 2006 with a third "side" and extensive liner notes.

No comments: