Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Album of the Day

A Ghost is Born, by Wilco (2004): Although I was vaguely aware of Wilco's existence, it wasn't until jedi jawa recommended them (well, a co-worker of his recommended them, actually) that I picked this disc up. Honestly, although I know they're revered in some circles (including by some folks in the prog world), I can't see what all the fuss is about. The tunes here are generally good (the run from "Wishful Thinking" to "Theologians" in particular), but not all that compelling. And don't even get me started on the 15-minute noise fest that is "Less Than You Think."* I know there are fans out there among the WV bloggers - what am I missing, folks?

* And I'm a guy who listens to music that lots of people would label noise!

3 comments:

b said...

Oh man, jdb. We gots to chat.
When I first saw the day's album, I got so excited that a) I finally recognized one of the bands (ok, that's an exaggeration, but still...)and that b) it was Wilco! Then I read the entire post. There are a lot of things going on here.
First, you cannot judge a band like Wilco on one album. If critiquing only "A Ghost is Born", then it is slightly more understandable (although "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" is, imo, one of the best songs ever). "Ghost" is considered Wilco's most experimental album and was recorded very shortly (by Wilco standards) after 2002's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot", which was their best-selling album, as well as the most tumultuously recorded and produced of any of them. You have to have respect for a band that, when turned down by their label for not having a mass-marketable enough album, refuses to change it, streams it online, finds a new label, and, ironically, sells the most copies in the band's history.
Also recommended is Wilco's collaborative two-disc set (Mermaid Avenue) with Billy Bragg and Natalie Merchant. Woody Guthrie's daughter found a bunch of his unrecorded lyrics and gave them to Bragg, who then asked Wilco to join him in writing music to them.
Wilco is one of the most innovative and multi-layered bands out there. There is generally a Wilco album for everyone, as their discography is pretty diverse.

JD Byrne said...

OK, so it sounds like I should give Yankee Hotel Foxtrot a shot. I'll put it on my "pick up at Borders next time" list. Thanks, b!

Paul said...

I'm with you. I just don't get it. I don't think they're horrible or anything. They're listenable, but I hear nothing spectacular. I guess it's just us.