Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Album of the Day

Catatonia, by Salem Hill (1997): I try to focus on music and not visuals, but sometimes a bad first impression from the CD packaging can kill my enthusiasm. The original 1997 release of this album has, hands down, the worst packaging I've ever seen. The front and back covers are incredibly pixelated, as if they were blown up from a much smaller size. I could overlook that if (a) there was a tracklist somewhere and (b) the lyrics weren't all crammed on one page of the CD booklet in tiny print and one single-spaced paragraph. It's not even worth trying to figure them out - a particular problem with a concept album! That being said, the music is fairly serviceable but unremarkable neo-prog. So my only real impression of Salem Hill is - spend some dough on the visuals!

No comments: