Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Newest Obsession

When the girlfriend and I first met and were still feeling each other out (emotionally, you clods!), I made the mistake of disclosing that I have a computer program that manages a database of my CD collection. It's actually really cool - it tracks the total time of the discs, average times, accepts ratings - but it's a sure sign of a anal retentive geek. Thankfully, the girlfriend didn't run in terror at this disclosure, but said that she hoped someday to find something similar to catalog her enormous collection of books. It's one reason I love her.

Now, she has, and she's dragged me along with her. LibraryThing is an online catalog for your books. You add books by title, author, or ISBN. You can then see how many other people have the same book, share the same tastes, get recommendations, etc. If you're a book geek, it's incredibly addictive. And if you're a bloggin' geek, you can put a widget on your blog to show what's in your collection (down below the archive, to your right).

Sadly, for me, my collection - the entirety of which I've inputted in two days - pales in comparison to the girlfriend's. As I've said before, she reads books like I drink Diet Cokes. Good thing I'm not self conscious about such things!

So go on, try it out. You'll get hooked. I did. Thanks, honey!

No comments: