Monday, May 05, 2008

Album of Last Friday

Wish You Were Here, by Pink Floyd (1975): I hinted, I think, back when I wrote my Ground & Sky review of this album, that I prefer it to the world-conquering LP that came before it, Dark Side of the Moon. It hangs together better, I think, and it manages to do so book ended by one of the most laid back epics of all time. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" - all nine parts of it - would clock in at more than 25 minutes if it wasn't split up and manages to maintain the same low-key movement through the whole thing. Solos and languid and lyrical. Nothing is rushed. It's quite incredible, really. Add the three tracks in the middle - the synth-pulse led "Welcome to the Machine," record company satire "Have a Cigar," and the yearning title track - provide a nice contrast. My favorite Floyd album, not doubt.

No comments: