Monday, May 26, 2008

Close Encounters of the Brit Kind

One of the foundational tenets of faith among UFO believers is that classified documents locked away in some secret government file contain the truth that the Earth has been visited by extra terrestrials. If the experience of researchers in the UK means anything, they're going to be disappointed:

Whatever they were, these phenomena reported to Britain’s Ministry of Defense over the years and made public this month were almost certainly not actual alien aircraft piloted by actual alien beings.

'The government has been telling us the truth,' declared David Clarke, a senior lecturer in journalism at Sheffield Hallam University, who has a side interest in U.F.O.’s. 'There are a lot of weird things in the sky, and some of them we can’t explain, but there’s not a shred of evidence for a single alien visitation.'
Bummer. If you think Clarke's missed something, some of the documents are available online from the National Archives.

2 comments:

Elvis Drinkmo said...

My mom saw a UFO. I swear.

She ran downstairs and banged on my door until I could hear her through my headphones. She said she heard a lawnmower starting up which was kind of weird at 3 AM. Then she got out of bed and ran to the window and saw a red light heading up into the sky. By the time I got out there all it was was a flashing light like a plane or satellite or something.

I'm thinking these particular aliens must have had a layover on their way to Flatwoods.

jedijawa said...

But I want to believe!