Friday, May 30, 2008

Album of the Day

Stop Making Sense, by Talking Heads (1984/1999): Stop Making Sense is one of the most highly praised concert films of all time, though I've never really seen anybody explain why. Don't get me wrong - it's a great concert (and it seems to have made an impact on younger folks). And in this day and age of graphic overlays for concert vids, it's refreshingly direct. But for all that, director Jonathan Demme still manages to focus on the wrong things sometimes - yes, it's great to see cousin David do some odd dancing, but wouldn't it be more interesting to see what Bernie Worrell is doing to that Prohpet 5? Alas, perhaps I'm just too picky when it comes to these things.

For the record, I own the original 9-track version of the album, that misses about half of the tracks in the movie, which I've got on DVD. I can't say that the CD is really lacking any critical material, however.

No comments: