Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Critcs' Secret Revealed!

Roger Ebert's battle with cancer has robbed him of his vocal ability, but not his voice. In addition to his regular movie reviews, Ebert is blogging (about once a week) over at the Chicago Sun Times site. This week, he takes on an interesting accusation: does he go easier on movies than most critics and if so, why? Ebert agrees that he does, indeed, tend to generally rate movies more highly than some other critics, and offers some explanations about why that's the case. I particularly appreciate his note about genres - Ebert is one of the few big name critics who don't reflexively shit on anything sci-fi (aside from 2001, of course).

That being said, I think Ebert delivered the most scathing review of any film I've ever heard on the TV show years ago. It was of this Dana Carvey flick and went something like this (going from memory, of course):

this film is so bad that it wouldn't even be useful if you chopped up the stock and used it to make banjo picks.
I don't care who you are, that's gotta sting!

1 comment:

Paul said...

My respect and admiration for Roger Ebert have no bounds. He is a brilliant writer and I even love the reviews that I disagree with.