Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Hypocrisy, It Burns!

Good grief, you must be kidding me. Via Pharyngula, I see the Pope has identified the problem with society:

Pope Benedict XVI condemned unbridled 'pagan' passion for power, possessions and money as a modern-day plague Saturday as he led more than a quarter of a million Catholics in an outdoor Mass in Paris.

* * *

Paraphrasing from the New Testament, Benedict decried 'insatiable greed' and said 'the love of money is the root of all evil.'

'Have not money, the thirst for possessions, for power and even knowledge, diverted man from his true destiny?' the pope asked.
I'm sorry, what now? The man who lives here . . .

. . . and works here . . .


. . . in a lap of incredible luxury has the gall to tell the rest of the world that pursuit of material goods is evil? I guess a grasp of irony is not a holy job requirement.

As usual, The Onion gets it right:
Heaven Less Opulent Than Vatican, Reports Disappointed Pope
Photos courtesy of Wikipedia Commons.

1 comment:

jedijawa said...

Oooooh! I loved that article from The Onion! I just got two more issues in the mail yesterday that I need to read through! :-)