Wednesday, January 02, 2008

BCS Bore

Oh, my. The Bowl Championship Series isn't off to a very auspicious start for 2008. First, the Rose Bowl's adherence to tradition produced a game where USC whooped up on an overmatched Illinois (sorry, Dima), 49-17. Then the feel-good story of Hawaii's undefeated season came crashing to the ground as they got smacked around by Georgia, 41-10. Um, yeah, I guess I was wrong to think that Hawaii deserved a shot at the national title. My bad.

That brings us, of course, to tonight's Fiesta Bowl between WVU and Oklahoma (where, I've been told, the wind comes sweepin' down the plain). Most folks are predicting a Sooner victory (according to MSNBC, the line right now is Sooners by six), particularly given (a) WVU's season ending debacle against Pitt and (b) the flight of head coach Rich Rodriguez to Michigan shortly thereafter.

Honestly, at this point, I hope it's just a close game. We really don't have much to lose - who'd expect a team in such turmoil to go out and beat the Big 12 champs? But I can hear the critics around the country if we get blown out - ragging on the school, the state, and the conference - and I don't want to hear it. Let's just not embarrass ourselves, OK?

Let's Go Mountaineers!

No comments: