Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Album of the Day

Peter Gabriel (aka Security), by Peter Gabriel (1982): This album is a pretty good example of my near complete about face about Gabriel's solo work. I got it on CD long ago and wasn't that impressed - it sounded sterile, thin, and mechanical. It put me off of Gabriel's solo work for years. After Plays Live renewed my interest in the early albums, I ended up filling in the back catalog with the spiffy remastered versions. Along the way, I came to really enjoy them. So it's only appropriate that I eventually upgraded this album, too. It's not completely redeemed by remastering, but there's a lot more depth and more things to wrap your ears around. It's not my favorite (that's the third one, aka Melt), but I've learned to love it just the same.

No comments: