Sunday, March 09, 2008

Album of Last Friday

Seconds Out, by Genesis (1977): One of the criticisms some folks have about groups like Genesis (or Rush or Marillion) is that their live shows consist mostly of performing songs as they were played on the album, without any improvisation or stretched out jams. That's true (for the most part), but that doesn't mean that something isn't added in the live setting. For proof of that, see disc two of this set, which presents ripping versions of "Supper's Ready," "Cinema Show," and "Dance on a Volcano/Los Endos." The first two showing how well Phil Collins could do stepping into Gabriel's vocal shoes. I'm not sure what it is, but the energy of those versions render the studio versions pale by comparison. "Cinema Show," in particular, is about my favorite 11 (or so) minutes of music ever.

2 comments:

Paul said...

I don't have all of the live releases from Genesis, but I usually love their live arrangements of their older tunes, especially "A Firth of Fifth" and "I Know What I Like."

crystal dawn said...

Cinema Show may just be my favorite minutes of music ever as well, and the live version on Seconds Out did make them so much better.