Thursday, March 13, 2008

Album of the Day

Live at the Troubadour, by Kevin Gilbert (1995): This live album is basically Gilbert and a band (called Thud) performing tunes from his solo album at the time (also called Thud), with a few extras thrown in. The tunes are more raucous and laid back at the same time, with Nick D'Virgilio (of Spock's Beard/Mike Keneally fame) rocking the drums on "Waiting" and grooving with a guest tabla player on "Joy Town." Among the extras are a decent, but not great, version of the Toy Matinee tune "The Ballad of Jenny Ledge;" Gilbert's sarcastic shout out to his ex Sheryl Crow, "Miss Broadway;" and a fabulous cover of Zep's "Kashmir."

1 comment:

Paul said...

How pathetic am I that I see a blog post and think "Nice use of semicolons"?

Spike Nesmith tried to get me into Gilbert years ago but his stuff just didn't click with me for some reason. I'd like to here his treatment of "Kashmir" though.